Pineapple is a very tasty and as well as healthy tropical fruit packed with valuable nutrients and antioxidants. This tropical fruit is a great ingredient in a cake offering the amazing taste that we all love and enjoy. In this article we shall present you a delicious recipe of a pineapple cake that can be quickly and easily prepared.
Pineapple is composed of incredibly healthy compounds, like high content of vitamin C, manganese and a wide range of antioxidants like flavonoids and phenolic acids. These antioxidants can lower the risk of chronic diseases including diabetes, heart disease, and even some cancers. Plus, it is low in calories which is very beneficial for the weight loss process.
Recipe of a Pineapple Cake
- 3 eggs
- 100 g melted vegetable butter
- 100 g of agave syrup
- 150 g of flour consisted of 75 g of rice flour, 40 g of corn, 25 g of almond flour, and also add a binder like psyllium or guar gum
- 1 packet of dry yeast
- Half a teaspoon of organic lemon peel
Used ingredients for decoration:
- 1 fresh pineapple cut into slices
- Candied cherries
- 1 tablespoon of cane sugar
Preheat the oven at 180 °C. Next, in a large bowl whisk the eggs for 2 to 3 minutes by using an electric mixer. Include the butter and lemon zest and stir the ingredients. In the end add the flour and yeast and stir till you get the consistency of dough.
Take a cake pan and lightly butter it and then put the pineapple rings on the bottom of the pan with a cherry between each two washers. Sprinkle everything with brown sugar, and then include the cake dough into the mold. Put the pan in the oven and bake for 40 minutes. After that take out the cake from the oven and leave it to cool off. Gently unwrap it and serve your pineapple cake.
This history of the pineapple cake:
Baking a cake upside down is an old technique when cakes were baked even in cast iron stoves. This was the easiest method for the cooks to bake a cake in the oven with fire.
In 1911, the engineer Henry Ginaca invented a machine which could cut the pineapple into well formed rings, and very shortly after his invention the idea for including pineapple ring in cake appeared. This recipe was boosted by adding the maraschino cherry which provided the nice looking color and as well as its taste.
As per the US Food and Beverage Dictionary, revised edition of 1994, the first print of the recipe of this cake dates back to 1930 even though it is believed that the original recipe is much older.
Some interesting information about pineapple:
- The core of the pineapple is edible.
- The pineapple pulp is very high in vitamin A, and the one that is left after extraction it is given to the livestock.
- When America was colonized a pineapple was offered as a gift of friendship.
- Plant the top of the pineapple in the soil and thus grow your own pineapple.
- After two years the pineapple plant will produce fruit.
- A pineapple does not ripe after harvesting it.
- Smell the pineapple and in that way determine if it is ripe.
- Southeast Asia is the major producer of pineapples in the world.